In Autoprosthesis mastopexy technique part of the breast tissue is designed into an implant and the breast tissue is uplifted over it giving it not only an uplift but an implanted breast appearance. This procedure may be combined with fat grafting if the patient needs correction of asymmetry or implants on both sides if she just wants to enhance the size of the breasts.
The procedure requires general anaesthesia and overnight hospital stay with an anchor shaped scar on the breasts. The procedure takes about 2 hours of operating time.
Like with all surgical procedure, the following complications are associated with auto-prosthesis mastopexy:
- Loss of nipple – less than 1%
- Loss of nipple sensation
- Fat necrosis
- Hypertrophic/keloid scars
- Recurrent droopiness needing further surgery
- Residual asymmetry of breast size, shape and nipple asymmetry
- Chest infection
- Pulmonary embolism and Deep vein thrombosis.